Study Abroad! Copenhagen and Stockholm





 Hello friends! I am currently writing to you from London and all of the traveling has finally caught up with me and I have been sick alllll week..but it's fine. 
This past weekend a few friends and I took a trip to Scandinavia! We started our adventure in Copenhagen, Denmark! This was the first trip that we were taking where we were planning everything on our own so we were a little bit nervous. Everything was definitely a learning experience. Our flight left from Gatwick airport at 6:00am. Basically getting to every airport other than Heathrow is a huge pain in the ass. If you aren't familiar with London's public transportation, basically they have an amazing underground train, but it closes at midnight and doesn't open until 5am. So since we needed to leave to go to the airport at 3am, we decided to leave the night before and just spend the night at the airport which was interesting. 

At Christmas, I asked my Grandma and Grandpa what they liked about Copenhagen because both of them have visited before and all either of them said was that the airport was really nice, which was true, but I wasn't sure what to expect when I got off the plane. After leaving the very nice airport, we bought a ticket for the subway and they never even checked tickets and so we were like okay we could've just walked on and saved $4 but it's fine. I didn't realize how the language and currency difference would be but we couldn't read the map of where to get off the train and so I asked a man where the city centre was and he told us to get off at Kongens Nytorv. So my ass doesn't know anything so I just listened to this man and we ended up getting off 5 stops early. It really wasn't that big of a deal I'm just being dramatic, but after we got checked into our hostel we went and got waffles and then my friend Aliza and I decided that we are going to Brussels in April just so we can eat waffles. 




Copenhagen is literally the cutest city ever. Other than their overpriced food ($9 for coffee and a bagel!!) Everyone in Copenhagen is just so fucking calm. Like I was walking around and nobody gave a fuck about anything and I was just like alright. 


That night we went to Tivoli Gardens and it was a winter wonderland! ALSO I tried "Irish Coffee" I wasn't sure what it was but I wanted something warm and I wanted coffee so I was like okay,...but then the barista started making it and just started pouring whiskey in a cup and I was like...alright we out here I guess. Anyways that was the first time I had whiskey (reminder that I'm legal) and I felt like an old white man. 


The next morning we went to a cute cafe called "Next Door Cafe" and I had my cup of coffee without whiskey. I wanted a cute cup of coffee so I could post a picture and caption it "Cup. Coffee. Copenhagen" because that is what Harry Styles did. 


After our very good lattes and pancakes, we ventured out to find the Little Mermaid statue and Rosenborg Castle. 


Copenhagen is definitely a walking city. We walked around everywhere and saw basically everything! I'm so glad that we squeezed two trips into one because I felt like we were there for the perfect amount of time! At about mid-afternoon, we went to the city centre station to get on our train to Stockholm, Sweden! 


The train ride was literally like I was going through the visual effects department of the Frozen team at Pixar studios. It was so pretty and covered with snow. We arrived in Stockholm that evening and then went to our hostel and grabbed dinner. We were supposed to go to the ice bar in Stockholm but then realized that we were all very tired so we just went to bed. 


Basically, all I did in Stockholm was eat but I'm not even mad about it. The first thing on our to do list was to go to a bakery and have a latte and cinnamon roll. If you didn't know, I worked at a bakery in Kansas that served cinnamon rolls when I was in high school so I'm kinda a cinnamon roll expert. ANYWAYS I'm still thinking about this cinnamon roll. 

Stockholm was very very very VERY cold.After our cinnamon rolls, we decided to go a museum. We went to the VASA museum which was a ship that sunk in the 1500's and was discovered in the 1900's so it was basically like the Vikings version of the Titanic museum. Also, there was a sign at the museum that said if you were under 18 you could get into the museum for free, so I was like....okay  im going to try to finesse this free entry ticket. so I go up to the ticket booth and ask for a children's ticket and the guy goes "can I see a form of id" and I started sweating, i was thinking about running. I was just like "sorry all I have is my student id" and he was just like "okay" so I got into the museum for free! .....Also side note everything in Sweden is so expensive. I'm very happy that they get free healthcare, education, maternity leave, etc. but it really sucks when you don't live there and have to pay their 4819205831095% taxes on dinner. 

After our museum visit, we walked around the city centre and stopped for dinner and had Swedish food! I had a .....well I don't really know what exactly this was but it was a pie with feta cheese and spinach and it was really good! 


Alright that is all for this adventure!




No comments